Tuesday, January 15, 2008

green clean: all-purpose cleaning sprays

By popular request (and by popular, I mean I actually had one request) here is my own special recipe for an all-purpose cleaning spray:

Aunt Nikki's tea-tree oil disinfectant spray
liquid soap (Dr. Bronner's or similar, not hand soap)
filtered or purified water
tea tree oil
32-ounce spray bottle

Nearly fill the spray bottle with filtered water or purified water (beware of tap water if you have hard water, the mineral content will inhibit cleaning and clog the spray nozzle). Add 2 tablespoons of the liquid soap (I like Dr. Bronner's Eucalyptus) and 20-30 drops of tea tree oil and shake gently to mix.

NOTES
You can adjust the amount of soap and tea tree oil to your particular preference. I like using less soap to avoid a residue.

For all you layabouts, here is an even easier alternative:

Aunt Nikki's lazy cleaning spray
Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds
filtered or purified water
32-ounce spray bottle

Nearly fill the botter with water. Add as much soap as you feel like.

NOTES
I use this spray to clean hard floors, and it works great. Sal Suds is awesome, but hard to find. Even in super OG Portland I have only seen it one place (our neighborhood co-op). Good thing you can order it online. It is a true liquid soap with fir needle oil and spruce oil, and it smells heavenly. It works wonderfully as a laundry detergent or you can use it straight for hand-washing clothes; it even removes stains. It is a beautiful thing.

I would have added some pics to show you how well these products work, but my house is a little dirty right now. Sometimes it's more fun to make cleaning products than actually clean. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. This is great! A and I have been wanting to figure out a good, alternative cleaner, so we'll give this a try. Who knew that cleaning blogging would be so awesome?

    ReplyDelete